Acrylic solid surface is a man-made material known as Corian also, but Corian is a brand name under the DuPont company, who invented the product. Many people write as Korean and believe that it originated from Korea, but it is wrong.
Solid surface is composed of acrylic polymer, alumina trihydrate (ATH), minerals and natural pigments.
Acrylic solid surface is available in different colors and thicknesses. Solid surface also comes in two variants, bendable and non-bendable. In the bendable variant you can mold in 360 degree and shape it as desired, where in non bendable is not possible.
Features & Benefits of using Solid Surface:-
- Durable – Keeps its good looks and survives the impact nicks and cuts that can occur with daily wear and tear.
- Tough – A versatile material that is easy to live with in both domestic and commercial environments. The joints are inconspicuous and fluids cannot penetrate.
- Easy-to-clean – A non-porous surface that prevents dirt and stains from penetrating the material. Marks and stains stay on the surface and can easily be removed with a Scotchbrite pad and household cleaner.
- Nonporous – Its smooth surface does not allow liquids to penetrate and that makes it easy to clean. Bacteria and mold have nowhere to take root.
- Repairable – Solid surfaces are renewable and inherently environmentally friendly. Heavy stains and scratches can be erased without a trace simply by rubbing with household cleaner.
- Seamless – This results in a smooth surface that enables you to create large designs fashioned from a single element. The seamless look of integrated countertops, sinks, and coved backsplashes also means there are no crevices to trap dirt and bacteria.
Let’s see which are the best brands available in the Indian market.
1. DuPont Corian
5. Hyundai Hanex
1. DuPont Corian
Corian is the original material of this type, created by DuPont scientists in 1967. Which was patented by DuPont and after expiration of patent, a number of direct solid surface competitors to Corian have emerged.
Its primary use is as a countertop and benchtop surface. But later on with improvement in the material it has been used in making Sink and bathtub also.
Available in over 100 colours.
HIMACS benefits from the high-tech infrastructure and development-experience of LX Hausys who regularly bring stunning innovations to life. LX Hausys guarantees superior quality for all raw materials; the acrylic contained is produced by our own factories, certifying excellence from the source.
Quality Club Members with a 15 year warranty. The longest warranty in the solid surface market.
Established in 2001, Tristone UK Limited is the sole distributor of Tristone Acrylic Solid Surface sheets, sinks and adhesives.
Available in over 50 colours.
Staron from the Lotte Chemical of South Korea, has a presence globally.
Available in more than 100 colors and patterns, Staron can be easily fabricated to create nearly any shape or inset and can be thermoformed into flowing curves. Seams are glued and buffed for absolutely seamless walls, columns, display fixtures and other designs.
And because Staron is nonporous, it is certified for use in applications that natural stone does not, such as health care and food service.
5. Hyundai Hanex
A European brand Hanex Solid Surface is an acrylic solid surface material which is composed of Methyl Methacrylate (MMA) and Poly Methyl Methacrylate (PMMA) resin filled with Alumina-Trihydrate and other specialized formula to give it a timeless beauty and quality.